Friday, July 16, 2010

Food





Wednesday July 14, 2010

No one mentioned lunch so I did not have any. Michael and I set out walking home close to 5pm and I suggested food. It seemed forever and I had a hard time keeping up with him in the heat, but finally we were on the main stretch. I could not eat the super spicy rice dish I had yesterday so he took me to a restaurant that sold noodles and beans. Well the "restaurant" was a stick stand with benches and I could not eat very much being distracted by all the flies. Plus I was deeply concerned about how and whether the dishes were washed. Michael then bought grilled beef skewers from an old man and put the meat and onion pieces in the crusted bread he had which made a Philly cheese stake look alike, without the cheese. Michael was just his usual appetizing self and did not share my sanitation concerns; I tried to point out the fact that he was the one with some GI issues currently.

Next we went to the Lebanese grocery store that the interns frequented, and guess what I found--RAMEN NOODLES. Back at the guest house Uncle Ben's daughter Alima cooked the noddle on a coal stove with well water and the canned veggie I also bought. She was a polite 19 year old going to college in Freetown in the fall. I dont know which surprised me more--the coziness of coal stove cooking or the fact I was so excited about my ramen noodle dinner.

After the cold shower I fell into bed, a bit hungry still. I guess this is quite appropriate while visiting the world's second poorest country. Afghanistan tops the UN poverty list. Who says we are entitled to three meals a day anyways? Val said people in Haiti never knew when they would eat again most of the time. But will I ever find the mangoes and oranges I have heard about?

1 comment:

  1. Well it sounds like you helped quite a few people get out of pain. How horrible for them to have to suffer for so long. We are so fortunate and take so many everyday things for granted here.

    ReplyDelete