Sunday, July 18, 2010

Saturday---Half Day, July 17, 2010





kaiba forgot to pick me up so I was late to work. He said he thought I would like to walk today, I assured him I never would want to walk before work so please don't think that. As a result we did not finish until way past noon the official closing time for Saturdays. But it was a great day because the new generator was running the lights and the ceiling fan, and the outlet was available for me to charge my cell. And Sahr James said we both would be interviewed on the radio Monday night to promote dental health for children. What more could I ask!!

Andrew the other nurse came in to say hello. He told me he was sick yesterday with malaria and could not be at work. He would get malaria about 2 times a year even though he uses a bed net; he did not want to take prophylactic meds for fear of developing resistance. I told him I would bring a bottle of OFF for him since he did not have any. It turns out Sahr James and Andrew share a house together because their families live elsewhere. They can't afford to see their families often because traveling cost too much.

In the middle of another patient a man came in saying " I just want to see her". He introduced himself as the "Chief", and I waved. Sahr James said Chiefs were elected local officials.

kaiba took me home through yet another short cut, going through back yards and under cloth lines . This apparent trespassing was business as usual as I found out later from the interns.

I got home to join Kulani for a shopping trip with Uncle Ben's wife Aisha. We waited but Aisha never came. Michael was out visiting friends at an amputee camp. Kulani then had to go to the hospital to visit a HIV patient who needed transfusion. I had a few cashews and a soda for lunch, listening to interns BJ and Raphi talk about the feasibility and funding of a plan to buy two cows for the amputee camp residents to raise as a self sustaining business. But maybe two goats would work better, so they set out to research the market.

Crossing the small courtyard from the breakfast room, I saw Alima and her mom Aisha cook rice and soup on their coal stove. My mother used to cook on a coal stove when I was very young; I remember her fanning the stove just as Alima was doing now. She gave me a taste of the soup---super spicy with very rich flavors!!

After a cold shower and a nap, I set out with Michael to find food. I decided to try the Philly Cheese stake look alike but it did not work, the meat was too chewing and kind of suspicious. I had three of the green oranges Michael was given at the camp, they were very juicy and sweet. This was my first taste of a fruit other than bananas since I got here.

1 comment:

  1. Quite an adventure. I can't wait to see pictures when you get home. Keep up the good work. Thinking about you all every day.

    ReplyDelete