Sunday, July 25, 2010

Good-Bye For Now


Coming home to North America is very nice and a bit different. The water fountains fascinate me, and look at all the outlets everywhere. My fingers, face, and clothes don't get dirty at all, and AC actually feels cold. Andy gave me a care package of Ramen noodles and Sardines, but I only take Lebanese sardines now. It is hard to believe I already ate two meals and a snack in the space of 6 hours today. Going back to work feels like a dream vacation, everything is easy and efficient with predictable outcome.

Bailor said patients continued coming and asking to see the dentist. Both Bailor and Michael have food poisoning now and Ahmidu is sick with malaria. Engineering interns arrived to install the solar panels for the clinic, and the original 4 work away on their projects. Never a dull moment there.

I already miss everyone. Will I go back? Yes I will. And I will bring camping stove and plates. A helmet! And hopefully, a team of healthcare volunteers.

For Christmas this year I will ask Santa for a fully stocked mobile dental clinic on 4x4s with its own generator full of diesel, tons of clean water, and a team of dental professionals for Koidu. Until then I will try and help the clinic and GAF offer limited services and start an outreach program for dental disease prevention.

So many have helped make this trip happen: Barry, though worried about the hardship, donated generously all the instruments to jump start the dental clinic in Koidu. Lisa, Liz, Ellen, Scott, Jeri, Victory shared their valuable work and travel experiences. Val said GO and gave me a vision that turned the corner in my decision making, then she brought the fan the army knife and the cash. Vickie and our dental team helped order, organize, and pack supplies, and told me it would work. Brian gave us a solar lamp for dark nights. The global department of the American Dental Association donated pamphlets on brushing.

To all my friends and family who wrote me via email /Facebook and kept me in their thoughts and prayers during the trip, thank you for being with me throughout this event which was way out of my comfort zone on many levels.

Everybody, please continue to check out GAF (goact.org) and see all the work they do each and every day to help a war injured, diseased, and impoverished population who were largely tossed aside and forgotten.

Much Love and appreciations, Chifan

No comments:

Post a Comment