Monday, July 19, 2010

Sunday-- A Day Off, July 18, 2010









A whole football (soccer) team from Bo, 100 miles southwest of here, was staying at Uncle Ben's last night, which explained the late night party noises. They were in high spirit for today's game against Kono Lions; washing down their breakfast with beer. By 11AM the noise from the breakfast room sounded like a riot, and I decided to stay in my room and eat some bread, an orange, and water for lunch.

Michael came back with three teenage friends who lived in one of the amputee camps and we took some pictures. One of them rapped for us while the football team was in high gear getting ready for the 4pm game.

Then Kulani and I set out with Aisha for our shopping trip which did not happen yesterday. Women dress in very colorful fabrics here and it was eye opening looking through all the designs at the two stores that Aisha was friendly with. Then we went to the dressmaker to get Kulani measured for a shirt she wanted made. Three male dress makers work in a very small room way back in the ally, the shirt will be ready in 5 days.

We decided to walk back for exercise, which turned out to be a hot and dusty walk. I should have known better. As soon as I got to Uncle Ben's it was time to set out for the soccer game. Michael now had 6 or 7 friends in the breakfast room, some are his translators. One told me: "Michael's mother, you are very active", referring to the fact I had just walked back from the market.

Five of us started for the stadium. The locals knew short cuts so we followed them. Some of these paths were so uneven with rocks, roots, and ruts they would have been rated as "moderately difficult" in any US parks. One friend, Abu, told me I was a "strong" woman being able to walk so much. His own mother could not walk much anymore because she had to walk so much when she was young. Doesn't all that walking make her strong I asked, no he said, there was no medication for her all these years.

One boy in our group called a man some bad names and the man started chasing the boy who ran away fast but was later apprehended by the man who turned out to be the boy's teacher. There was commotion and I was told the man was taking the boy to the police. One said "We have to pay for the boy", looking straight at me.

Michael and company caught up with the man and started making a case for the boy's release, saying the boy was his guest and telling the man he had no right to arrest the boy. The man, middle aged and overweight, was profusely sweaty and arguing loudly that he was simply so tired, so tried of being insulted by this boy. He had had enough!! By this time a sizable crowd of more than 30 had gathered to watch, with all the shouting I was worried a fight would break out. In the end the boy apologized and the man walked away sort of deflated. One friend, Abu, said to me he had advised Michael not to get involved because the boy needed to learn to respect himself and others. I agree with Abu.

The stadium had no grass and no lines and the game was a friendly between almost-middle-aged men. Kulani predicted the game to be a joke based on what she had observed at breakfast, she was right. Nevertheless the game was fairly well attended and festive with loud music and commentating, plus two "comedians" who were actually clowns with white make-up. It was Kono Lions 0, Bo United Friends 2. The victorious team came back to the guest house singing songs and drinking more beers. Then they were gone and peace returned.

I had been walking in the hot sun back and forth three times and I was terribly overheated, like being on fire. The shower was luke warm from the hot weather-- it felt great!!

Soon it started to get dark, and for the first time I was cranky about not being able to see. When will the light come on? What a messed up situation. I went out to the little patio next to the breakfast room, the first star was just starting to twinkle. No matter how unfair things are on earth, the sky and stars are beautiful for all to see. Perhaps that is a reminder of the equality we hope to achieve.

As arranged Uncle Ben's wonderful daughter Alima cooked dinner for us tonight for a fee, I wanted all of us to have a "home cooked" dinner. Alima and I planned the menu in the morning before she went to the market. We had rice with peanut soup and chicken--a traditional SL dish, and casavva ( taste and looke like potatoes). Bailor joined us, and Raphi brought a huge papaya for dessert. Kulani said this was the BEST meal since she got here, Bailor said we should just eat here for the weekly meeting instead of going to the Kono Hotel and spend four times as much. We ate and ate, I was not only full, I was STUFFED!! Everyone was a bit surprised to be stuffed for once!! I thought about Michael's friends from the camp who had wanted to come back with us. We bought them water and bananas, and Michael gave some of them money as they asked to buy food. What are they having for dinner?

2 comments:

  1. Chifan--This is all so amazing to me. My heart and soul are with you,but it's a good thing my body isn't. I'm too much of a wimp. Love to you and Michael. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Chifan:

    I didn't know that you are in Serra Lione until Jane sent me your blog link. I enjoy reading your great adventure. You reminded me of Dr. Albert Schweitzer(1875-1965), the "Father of Africa". Here is a nice article about him.

    http://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=%E5%8F%B2%E6%87%B7%E5%93%B2

    By the way, have you seen mountain lions so far?

    Please give a hug to Michael for us.

    ---lolita

    ReplyDelete